Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Inspiration

I thought that maybe I should share my inspiration for starting this blog. It stems from a total stranger.

This is a link to her blog, and below it is the email I sent her about what her blog meant to me. Yes, this stranger's blog is my inspiration for my own. If you choose to read her blog, start at the bottom post and work your way up. It only takes about 15 minutes.
http://hilarybrock.blogspot.com/

Hi, Hilary.

You don't know me, but I went to high school with your husband. I kind of doubt he would remember me, I think we only interacted one weekend while at Lake San Antonio with a church group. Anyway, my friend suggested I check out your blog, so I did. You see, I'm a Navy wife. My husband is currently in Afghanistan. He was supposed to go to Japan at the end of February for just 3 months, but in December we were told it was changed to Afghanistan for 8 months. Then two days before Christmas we got a call saying he was leaving in 2 weeks. How quickly and dramatically things change. We've been through 3 deployments together and they have all be very different experiences. He spent 7 months in Iraq driving for Convoy Security 3 years ago. At that point we weren't dating and were just really good friends. Then last year he was in Spain for 7 months. We were dating at this point and it was wonderful to have him somewhere where I didn't have to worry about his safety all the time. This time he left 2 months after we got married, and like you did, I'm constantly worrying about the safety of him and his group.

I just wanted to tell you how much your blog moved me. It was like I was reading my own mind. Everything you wrote is what I've felt, but haven't expressed. Your heart physically aching, not knowing details (and not knowing if you want to know them), accepting help from others, avoiding news broadcasts, the awful feeling you get when you realized you've accepted the fact that you're now on your own and the guilt that comes with that realization, being strong on the phone when all you want to do is break down and tell him what's really going on, the hasty decision to get a pet (we got 2 ferrets right before he left and I'm often feeling as you did - was this a good idea?), missing the little things married people share, and trying not to get too excited when the end is drawing near.

Everyday I wait for a phone call. The doorbell rings and I pray there won't be two Navy men dressed up at my doorstep. I feel guilty when I realize that I don't remember what his arms around me feels like. But, I am also a lucky Navy wife. My husband's contract with the Navy is up at the end of this coming June. We are hopeful the Navy will send him home and won't stop-loss him for the remainder of his group's deployment.

Anyway, I just wanted you to know that there are people like me out there reading your blog. The next time someone asks me how it feels I will send them to your site.

Thank you for finding the courage to put into words what so many of us Military wives are feeling and going through. I'm so glad Nate is back home safely with you (and your dog).

~Jen~

3 comments:

  1. Jen! Love the blog so far :) How did you get the pictures so large?! If I could do that I would certainly have a nice photo blog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phil, I just used the "photo gadget" and they uploaded and embeded this size.

    ReplyDelete